[Bows] Breaking past 500!

Since I started shooting somewhat regularly and participating in Archery Tournaments, I have been working towards the goal of shooting 500/600 indoors. In Jan/Feb 2017, I saw a large downturn in my scores, right as I was approaching 500, with scores in the 490's I thought that it would come quickly, but alas just missing it started to become a definition of my archery Career.

This 2017-2018 indoor season started off with Promise, where I shot a 499 fairly early in the season and saw several high 400 and 490 scores. But then a strange thing happened, My scores dropped, and dropped hard. I had gotten so much better over last year, yet still, My scores seems to stagnate and become much worse, dropping into the low 400's. Even shooting a mid 300 score on a 3 spot target just a couple weeks ago.

That low score made me realize something though, I had been focusing way to much on the scores I was shooting. I wasn't focusing on the process that got me those scores, I'd make an error and spend the rest of a round trying to fix it, rather than just shooting the form I know gets me into the gold. I got some videos of myself, looked to see what needed to be fixed, and what was just mental.

So almost like a flash of understanding, I knew I needed to stop worrying about the target, and the scores, and focus what I was doing with the bow. Since then I saw a reversal of fortunes, My groups in practice came together. I broke my goal, and shot a 505 at a fun Tournament @ Classical sport, at this same tournament I shot a 261/300 in the first have, marking my first half score over 260.  Since then, I shot a league score of 501, and a OAA Championship Tournament of 502. I went from scores dropping towards 400, to breaking 500 consistently, and feeling like there is many more points to get just from staying more focused during a shoot.

Shooting with Stephanie has been daunting from time to time, Her commitment and skill are really next level. She pushes me to try harder, and I try to do the same as well.  Given the short time we've been shooting, she's progressed an amazing amount, with very lofty goals that I'm sure she will crush. Please give her support if you can, and check out her various social media and Youtube videos.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[Bosses] - Dragon Quest 8 (3DS)

[Bows] Aliens have invaded Mississauga!