[Bows] - Second Archerversary - My journey (so far) (1/2)

It's been two years since Stephanie and I started our first lessons into Archery. A lot has happened in two years, and I would like to think it's changed me for the better.

(this was meant to be posted in May, so i posted this first half just because, more to come.. eventually)

On becoming an Archer.
It was a warm day in the Spring of 2016, Stephanie and I got into the Car, headed off to our first archery lesson at OCCS, The Ontario Centre for Classical Sports. There we met our First Coaches, Dave and Scott. This wasn't the first time I shot a bow, but it is the day I became an Archer.  For many years, and several trips just for fun shooting back home in Calgary, I wanted to be an Archer, I wanted to buy a bow, string it up, fill a quiver with arrows and shoot them. Archery is a sport about personal discovery and perfection. A perfect balance between physical training, mental focus, and inner calm. One rule I had set for myself, I needed to take lessons before I could buy a bow, I needed to be sure that I in fact, actually enjoyed it! How foolish it seems now, of course, but I still think I made the correct decision, and encourage anyone interested to do the same, sign up for a beginner course! After Stephanie and I completed our first lesson, we went into the pro shop to order our bows. No more waiting was needed, we were hooked, and we knew it. We didn't really know then how far we would go, but we knew one thing, on that day, We became Archers.

From there our obsessions only grew deeper, We completed the Beginner level 1 course, then took level 2, and 3, and then intermediate. Starting in May, it was now into winter, and we had joined The Archers of Caledon. We had our first Taste of Outdoor shooting Late in October of that year, Our now good friend Dave Relf showed us around Caledon, we had just stopped by to learn more about the place, but we had our bows with us, so he helped us sight into a couple longer distances, even 70m. I had my sight all the way down and had to aim at the flag above the target, but it hit. The long flight time before the arrow struck the butt was nerve wracking for me as a new archer, but it was immensely satisfying. I wanted more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Bows] Breaking past 500!

[Bows] Double Double, Sunburn Trouble.